Sunday, August 14, 2011

76 Trombones

Luke and Jake had an awesome opportunity to be involved in Syracuse Community Theatre's production of Meredith Wilson's "The Music Man". Jake was in this play in high school and then played the lead, Professor Harold Hill. This time he was cast as the antagonist, Charlie Cowell. He liked getting to play the "bad guy". I know it would sound like I am just being partial, but Jake was fantastic! He really has a gift for acting and performing. For those who know him well, this doesn't come as a suprise to you. It was extra neat because he got to have Luke do it with him. Luke was a chorus member and also part of the boys band that Harold Hill organizes. During one of the cast musical numbers, (Trouble--for those who know the story/music), Harold Hill would bring Luke out in the middle of everyone and talk to him. I was so proud to see my little boy handle all of the long practices and preparations. He was honestly the cutest kid up there. Completely animated and singing his heart out--every word!

We are so grateful to all of our family and friends who came out to support Luke and Jake. We really appreciate it. Thank you, Thank you!


Here is Jake or "Charlie Cowell" trying to convince the River City citizens of the evils of Professor Hill.


There are more pictures I was forwarded from the directors, but I can't get them to upload. So hopefully I will be adding more later.



This is my favorite scene they did. Charlie and Hill are finally confronted. Hill punches Charlie and he ends up cowering offstage.


My 5 year old neice shouted out "NO" when she saw Uncle Jake get punched and collapse to the ground. So sweet!






Finally breaking character to snap of photo together.



Luke in his "Boy's Band" costume.



I loved Luke's costume. We were in charge of putting together the costumes ourselves. Jake and I put it together and my friend helped me make the pants into nickers.




Luke thoroughly enjoyed his experience. I think for while this will be an annual Swensen summer endeavor. Hopefully as ouryounger two kids get a little older we can do it as a family.

1 comment:

Natalie Walker said...

How fun! I wish we could have seen it! I'm sure they were both fabulous!!!