Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Indulge Me

I haven't posted in a while. I don't have much to report...
Have you ever felt as if there was an external force conspiring against you? Nothing big, just all sorts of little things seem to go wrong at once? Then all of those little things start to feel like the weight of the world. Don't worry we are fine. Just in a funk. I told Jake yesterday that you know just how lucky you are when the BIG things you have to complain about are a broken down furnace, kids wetting the bed/making messes, and such. Now granted that isn't all that has come at us this last week. But I know that there are many that would trade what they are currently facing with what I am.
My sister said to me once, " You know those people who when life gives them lemons they make lemonade? They just let the bumps that come with life just roll off their back. I wish I was one of those people." I know exactly what she means. I have never dealt well with things not going, "according to plan". Even day to day. I have a pretty clear map in my head every night before I go to bed at what I want or feel I need to accomplish for the following day. When it doesn't pan out I have a really hard time letting it go. That doesn't even count all of the larger schemes I have in my head of house beautification, crafting, projects etc. Jake once told me when I was complaining to him about not getting enough done that he never had any idea that I have so many things I am trying to accomplish all the time. Most of them I never voice to him. I guess it is the OCD/analness in me. Though I don't want to spend all day cleaning and ignoring my kids I still secretly wish my house was as clean as if I had. Though I would love nothing more than to play with and teach my kids all day long, I still know I can't, but find myself feeling guilty at the time I do spend away from them. I have always been one with high expectations. So for the last week NONE of my days have gone "according to plan". Trying to roll with it, smile and make lemonade. Here's to trying to learn a valuable life lesson. Thanks for listening.

4 comments:

Natalie Walker said...

Michelle, I know exactly what you mean. Except I don't think I have as many great ideas running through my head all the time. I feel like my head has been stripped of all intelligent thought and I am just now concentrating on treading water instead. :) You'll pull out of your funk. And one of these days maybe we'll all figure out how to balance our expectations and hopes with reality. I think that's one of the hard things about motherhood that I never expected. The guilt. Guilty if the kids are ignored. Guilty if the house is a mess. Guilty that this or that hasn't gotten done. And it's not just guilt in one area, but it's in ALL areas because EVERYthing is a compromise. The house can never been as perfect because you compromise to spend your time with your kids (obviously more important). But you can't spend ALL your time with the kids and then there is everything else. Obviously, I'm in need of a few lessons myself. Good luck.

Guiselle said...

I'm right there with you Michelle! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way at times! Sure miss having you guys around.

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

ME TOO!!!!! AAAUUGGGHHHH!!!!! I think I was a really mean mommy today on top of it all. Love you!

Holly said...

Hang in there hun. We all understand how you feel. I think that is the great thing about being a mom. It is the one thing that we can all relate to. We all go through our up and downs with it but that is what makes it the most rewarding in the end! Your a great Mom and wife, remember that!