Monday, April 7, 2008

Feeling Uplifted


I thought that General Conference this weekend was really fabulous. As I anticipated it, I confess I was really missing President Hinckley. I have not listened to a session of conference EVER where he was not the prophet. I know that sounds bad, but as a young child growing up not in Utah I had never attended or listened to a session of conference until we moved to Utah shortly after his call to be prophet. As I watched this weekend I felt refreshed and renewed by President Monson, and as so many said, saw the mantel of the calling fall on his shoulders. I was truly touched by his testimony and determination to give ALL that he has to our Heavenly Father's work. I gained for certain a clearer witness of his call and feel truly blessed by it. "We Thank Thee Oh God, For A Prophet!" We taught Luke to say his name, but it sounds mostly like "present monster". He struggles a little with the pronunciation.

I also felt inspired by Elder Bednar's talk on personal prayer. I found that I fit the mold he was warning against. How often my prayers have been sincere, but without further action. I resolve to do better, to be better. Of course, Elder Ballard's talk spoke to me, but so did several others, about be a mother and enjoying the journey. Like he said, to focus more on the doing rather than the getting it done. I fall in that trap all the time, checking off my lists and trying to be "so productive". I am not saying that is bad, but I need to be reminded to slow down a little and soak in these moments with my children. I really felt like this conference focused on personal conviction and conversion. We all need to get there, to allow our testimonies to fill us and guide us each day. I am grateful for what General Conference brings. And as a side note, I am grateful for modern technology that allows me to view it in the comfort of my own home, so far away from Salt Lake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know Present Monster is a true Prophet...

Joe(y) Speredon said...

Present Monster has always been the popular one although his cousin Cookie has done pretty well for himself too.

Amber said...

Hi Michelle! I am Caitlyn's friend from Alaska. I have heard so much about you and Jake the past couple years, when I saw your blog linked from hers I just had to say hello! So, hello! :-)

(PS, I hope you guys have a wonderful time on your trip!)

Sarah said...

those boys! it is a little funny though.