Wow!!! Okay, so we have been talking about starting to potty train Luke. We thought that we would wait a few more months at the advice of those who have done it before. We figure that when he is a little older and when it is warmer makes sense. But today I wish that he was. He has started hiding when he needs to poop. This isn't usually a big deal, but occasionally he will emerge from his secret special place with poop all over his hands. Apparently when he is done he decides to explore. But I guess thankfully he developed his Dad's sticky hands phobia so he immediately comes to me to clean him up. Not a fun job. This has only happened a couple of times-and very sporadically. So today-(of course since I am writing this)it happens. But for an added bonus he decides that the family room carpet makes more sense for cleaning than water and soap.AHHH! So I clean him up and we have a conversation about not putting his hands down his pants. My pediatrician warned me about not doing the "shame and blame" thing. So as positively as I could we discussed why that was gross and not to do it again. He looks at me with his big blue eyes and says, "okay, Mama." On he goes to play. I kid you not-1 hour later-he comes to me with his hand covered in poop. This time I admit to say I wasn't so upbeat about it.
Jake and I always laugh that changing a kid his age is like changing a teenager. One time Jake said to me, "I swear I half expect when I put his legs down for him to ask me for the keys to the car." I laughed so hard. It is amazing how there age creeps up on you. Jake and I are not the type to be squeamish about diaper changing, but babies are one thing. This is bad-and this is coming from someone who used to change adults!
Anyway, so as if you were not grossed out enough, another side note of a habit I am trying to stifle. Again thanks to his father's sticky hands phobia, Luke hates to get his hands dirty when he eats. You would think that this would encourage a mess free eating pattern-oh no, he makes a mess, but has recently decided that using his hair as a napkin, instead of the one provided, works great! The napkin or rag that we give him he feels is better suited for wiping the table! I guess at least he is trying, but needing more frequent baths.
I am sure that I will miss these days when they are gone, but sometimes I am anxious for personal cleanliness to kick in!
4 comments:
WOW! Crappy for you. (non pun intended:) Tres still has no interest for potty training. He hides when he poops and he tells me sometimes when he pee's. FRUSTRATING. Ellie is already starting to hide. She might be potty-trained before Tres!!! Anyway, good luck with that. Glad its not me.
As you know, one of my blessed boys did this too. I know you want to hope it will get better, then the boys bathroom is just disgusting. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've yet to see a sustained interest in personal hygiene that does not involve a LOT of work on my part. :)
That made me laugh. I know that it is not as funny for you but I can see Luke doint it. I understand your frustration with the personal hygiene though. I guess that this is something that all mom's struggle with. I have heard that it is especially bad with boys. Hopefully, with Jake as their role model, your boys won't be that bad once they are potty trained.
So funny, i know that I should say something helpful but honestly I just can't stop laughing.
Post a Comment