Monday, February 4, 2008
Luke's Cardiology Check-up
We saw Luke's new pediatric cardiologist today. For those of you who didn't remember or didn't know, he has what they call a bicuspid aortic valve. This essentially means that one of his valves (the tricuspid) valve is malformed. Two of the flaps are fused together. This creates a murmur in his heart. To date he has had no complications and it does not effect his quality of life. They watch him annually to ensure that he doesn't start regurgitating fluid through the valve. This would be a problem if it did- although a common problem among those in their 50's and older. They also watch for aortic dilation. This is where the aorta leading from the heart to the body becomes enlarged at the entrance. If this happens it could possibly prevent Luke from playing any contact sports. Jake was a little worried about that. But for right now- A+. He got a clean bill of health. Yeah!! No regugitation or dilation occuring. He was such a brave boy too. He had to have an echocardiogram today and an EKG. When they put all of the little stickers and wires on he pretended that he was a robot. So cute! We took him to McDonalds to celebrate. Plus the doctor let him dig through the "treasure box" when he was done. He got a Diego field journal. How cool! He is such a sweet boy sometimes. While we were waiting there was a little boy who was handicapped. I am not sure what he had but it was so sad to me. We are so lucky to have two beautiful, healthy little boys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yeah! So good to talk to you today.
I am so glad that he is okay. I wish i could squeeze him.
That is great news! Thanks for keeping us updated on you guys. I really enjoy reading your blog. Give the boys lots of kisses from me.
That's awesome news. How was the DR?
LOL H
The doctor was really great, but I have seen him before. He did my fetal echocardiogram when I was pregnant with Ty.
Post a Comment